Happiness is...a little green garden

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Extreme Drought

After driving home from the airport and mowing the grass, I took the cats on a forest walk to see the big beaver dam. We are in extreme drought conditions now, but still I was shocked to see the little stream we must jump over has totally dried up. Sidney always drinks here on the way back from our walks, so now she'll have to wait until we get home. At the small beaver dam, I saw a huge heron which squawked and flew away. There is not much left of our little pond, I guess all the fish we saw jumping earlier this year have either died, been eaten, or been lucky enough to make it into the tree channel where the big beaver dam is helping to keep some water there. After passing by the small beaver dam, we made our way to the big beaver dam which I couldn't see but it was obvious that it is successful in keeping some water around. Lake Hartwell is 14 feet down below normal right now, so beyond the big beaver dam is totally dry dirt. After the cats sniffed around a bit, we made our way back along the path to home. I finally got to see Sidney take a dump! In the 4+ years we've had her, I have never once seen her go poo, not in the litter box nor in the yard or forest. By contrast Harley routinely takes dumps right in front of us. After Sidney was finished she did not have the new found spring in her step as always exhibited by Harley, but nevertheless I am happy that things seem to be functioning perfectly well in that department. Next it was time for a roll around in something delicious, and then a relaxing time on the deck. Harley is eyeballing my beer: I can has Corona?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home