Happiness is...a little green garden

Friday, March 28, 2008

Forest Walk

So Andrew isn't going to make it home tomorrow, he says he has meetings lined up so he must stay in Savannah through Sunday. Hmm, I bet he just wants to party with his eyetracking friends! It was a mostly cloudy and windy day after work, but no rain so I took the cats on a forest walk. This winter we have been clearing the righthand side of the forest from our dock to make a new path to walk on. Basically we just use the natural lay of the land and take advantage of deer trails, cutting and pruning the odd limb here and there, and moving downed logs to make path edges. After a few walks on the path, it seems to get settled in. I think all the animals take advantage of it too, since it sure gets worn in quickly. I think I am in essence just inviting the deer into my yard - fool!! The cats really do enjoy the walks and stick close just like dogs would. And just like dogs, they roll around in "whatever" is on the ground but luckily they haven't come across a skunk yet. Cats are most definitely better smelling than dogs, I have to say. The beaver pond is shrinking a bit, but it doesn't matter because beyond the dam there is no water. We are still about 10ft below "full pool" (as the Corps call it), so we have a ways to go. I hope we get a ton of good spring rains, otherwise this beaver pond is going to be prime mosquito breeding territory and that will suck! I didn't get the tomatoes planted after work since I was out walking and garden inspecting with the cats. I like to see the daily changes in the yard now that spring is here. So tomorrow I hope to get on with the planting and I'll postpone the shopping until Sunday. I am not really into shopping anyways, so perhaps this is just a delay tactic. But I do need a few things for Italy so a half day might be enough, the stores don't open until 1:30pm here on Sundays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home