Happiness is...a little green garden

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Red Tomatoes

I can't believe how quickly the tomatoes are turning red. So this evening while waiting for the tivo to build up a good size buffer for So You Think You Can Dance (so I can 30 second skip through all the commercials), I thought I'd pick 2 of them to ripen a bit more in the house. I haven't watered, fertilized or bug sprayed the tomato plants at all - they have just been growing wild in the compost bin, so I am quite impressed with their looks. However I am not a raw tomato fan so I am wondering what they will taste like. I also got another shot of the amazingly fragrant oriental lilies this evening, they look gorgeous against the dark green of the forest. I think their fragrance gets stronger in the evening. Andrew is at drum practice tonight and he is all excited because he meticulously scored his drum music to sheet music in preparation for the big recording session. I am looking forward to hearing the songs on CD. The cats are both inside now since it is getting darker and it is raining a little bit anyways. Lately we have been getting a lot of afternoon thunderstorms which means not much yard work taking place after work. Yesterday we had a huge storm over my office building in Anderson which took out all the power to the machine room at 4:18pm precisely. What a bummer but thankfully my cluster is not yet in production so I didn't have to worry. This weekend Andrew takes off for Europe for a week, so I hope to work on the Warsaw writeup (Andrew's mom is anxiously waiting for it). That also means I'll need to take more pictures of the cats to keep Andrew happy. I am currently reading "Alice Waters and Chez Panisse" by Thomas McNamee, which I took out of the school library. It's a book about a woman who started this restaurant in the early 70s with the philosophy of using fresh, regional ingredients in cooking rather that frozen and foreign foods, and the philosophy that the dining experience should be more than just about the food - the ambience and smallest details are also equally as important. So far it is an ok read but I think only true foodies will go crazy about it all. I am starting to develop an interest in french cooking so maybe in time I too will become an Alice Waters fanatic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home