Happiness is...a little green garden

Sunday, October 01, 2006

New Conifers

This weekend we got a few chores done. Andrew got the oil changed on the car and installed a new air filter. Last night I made myself a margarita and Andrew had some of his new scotch, called 'Oban', a single malt. I definitely do not like scotch and don't know how or why he drinks that stuff! Today I went to Home Depot and purchased 2 new conifers and got them planted out. The one by the mailbox is a heat-tolerant Cryptomeria Japonica 'Black Dragon'. The coloring is intense - the new growth is a soft green that contrasts against the older black-green foliage. It is a dwarf and will make an excellent specimen. The second is a Juniperus Chinensis 'Blue Point' that I planted near the property edge by the electrical box. Its foliage is a soft blue and it will mature at 15ft tall by 7 feet wide. To plant this guy I had to first get rid of 3 older blue mist shrubs that I wasn't happy with, then move the wegeila over by about 3 feet, and finally plant the juniper. I am trying to discipline myself with proper spacing and getting in structure first before colorful flowers. So I hope to be planting more shrubs and conifers this fall. I have also decreased the size of the front yard lawn circle. I think this new size is in better proportion, but now Andrew will have to move in the sprinklers, hopefully this won't be too difficult to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home