Happiness is...a little green garden

Friday, September 29, 2006

A Little History

Yesterday's dinner was a disaster - the first really bad dish we've made since trying to eat vegetarian. It was a sundried tomato and basil pesto over linguine placed on toasted baguette rounds and baked in the oven for 15 minutes. Perhaps neither of us like pesto (I don't recall having it before - I must try some in a restaurant to see if it is any good). We won't be making that dish again. A funny thing though, on the way home yesterday we needed to stop at the grocery store to get the fresh baguette and we went through the self-checkout. The total came to $2.10 and Andrew asked if I had a dime. I didn't but Andrew said he felt like there was money on the floor so I looked around for a dime. I glanced under the empty checkout stand next to us and sure enough, I found 2 one dollar bills. Weird! So we got the baguette for 10 cents.

Over the last few days I have been email corresponding with a guy named Angus in Scotland who contacted me for his research on my family surname. I sent him what I knew and a few photos, and today he sent me some great photos and quite a bit of history. Very interesting. I have emailed my aunt to see what she knows and I will also ask my dad for information once he returns from his trip to Italy. In the first photo (taken in 1876) you can see my great great great grandfather (the oldest man) and my great great grandfather (standing right behind him). In the second photo (taken in 1896) you can see my great great grandfather (the oldest man) and my great grandfather (standing right behind him). My great grandfather moved the family from Scotland to Canada in 1921. One of his brothers went to the US and another to Australia. The young girl in the center of the second photo is Angus' grandmother. Angus got my email address from a guy in London who has been researching my last name for 30 years!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home