Happiness is...a little green garden

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Seasoning the Wok

When we came back from DC a package was waiting at our front door. My new carbon steel wok set I'd ordered online had arrived all the way from the Wok Shop in San Francisco. I seasoned it this morning according to their directions: clean the wok with soap and hot water to remove the factory machine oil finish, then place on high heat and burn in 1 teaspoon of peanut oil, rotating the wok around so the oil gets all over the inside. Open up the windows because it is going to smoke. Let it cool back to room temperature and then repeat the heat/oil/cooling treatment about 3 or 4 times. I ended up with a nice shiny brownish-bronzish patina - the more the wok is used the better this patina will become. I asked Andrew to throw away the old and peeling non-stick wok (yeah!) and now I am looking forward to cooking up some more stir-frys. They also sent along a recipe book which has a few vegetarian dishes we can try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home