Happiness is...a little green garden

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Designer Marshmallows

On Thursday we discovered the beer fridge was empty - the horror, the horror. So we went and got some Bitburgers, which we first drank in Saarbrucken, Germany back in September 2002 when Andrew had a conference there. One of the first phrases we learned was "Bitte ein Bit" which means "Please bring me a Bitburger". Another phrase was "Milchekaffe bitte" which means "Coffee with milk, please". We had a really fun trip and have some great memories about Germany, including almost missing the plane ride back home. In that strange way that the world works, Andrew's brother now lives right by Saarbrucken after moving there from New York. Yesterday Andrew did some housework and then we went shopping up to Greenville. Andrew needs some new "conference clothes" since he'll be going to quite a few this year and his wardrobe needs a little refreshing. We split up for about 2 hours to go shopping, since Andrew doesn't like looking at home-type stuff and I like to look at just about everything. The mall was packed but there were several good sales on so I got myself lots of new tops and a new pair of runners. I got some makeup too - Mindy says I need to start wearing some makeup so I am trying but it is hard to do it on a consistent basis. I had $15 worth of coupons for Waldenbooks (my visa card gives me money back to by books), so I got a great deal on 3 books - the store was running a buy 2 get one free, so for $15 I got $45 worth of books. I think $15 is a lot for one paperback book, but $5 is reasonable. "All the King's Men" is a Pulitzer prize winner, "In Cold Blood" is that one by Truman Capote, and "A Good Year" is just a light 'beach' read which as a movie bombed at the box office. I also went to Williams-Sonoma of course, just to browse, and ended up getting 2 new asian wok sauces - they had samples to taste and the Kung Pao and Chili Garlic were excellent. So now we can cook up a really quick stir fry if we are running late or just lazy. The lady behind me in the checkout said "You aren't getting any of those marshmallows?" to which I replied "What marshmallows?". The store had these $18 designer chocolate marshmallows on for $1.99 since they were about to expire and everyone was buying them up. I don't really like marshmallows (I don't like the texture) but I bought one box for Andrew and he says they taste great - I tried one but for me it was just alright. Maybe in a cup of hot chocolate they'd be good. I can't believe anyone would pay $18 dollars for 18 marshmallows. I am not sure what is in store for today. Andrew is still sleeping and it is pretty cold outside and not much wind is forecast, so sailing would be chilly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home