Happiness is...a little green garden

Friday, July 28, 2006

Snake In The Tree

Yesterday evening just before it got totally dark, I went outside to collect up the cats. They love to run around and play chase but eventually they come inside. Now I know why! I saw a strange shadow on the tree trunk in the circle island flower bed, and when I looked closer I saw that it was a huge black rat snake. I ran back inside to grab my camera and get a photo. I have never seen this before. After doing a little research on the internet today, I learned that black rat snakes do indeed climb trees because, in addition to rodents of all sorts, they love to eat birds and bird eggs. And apparently they have a tendency to accidentally fall out of the trees so at least I am now prepared should one ever fall on me while I am gardening. We had a few rat snakes living in our crawl space under the house - I have seen lots of baby rat snakes many times. We used to have mice in the crawl space and so that must have attracted the snakes. They are slow moving and harmless to humans, so I am not worried and welcome them to my yard. I had just never seen one climbing a tree before, and had no idea they could fall on my head. From now on I must remember to look up now and then when I'm working under the trees.
Tonight for dinner I made penne pasta with an arrabbiata sauce - basically just tomatoes with hot chilis and a little onion and garlic. Of course I had to grate a little fresh parmigiano reggiano on top cause I just love that cheese. It was delicious and I have enough left over for lunch tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home