Happiness is...a little green garden

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Blueberries

On Monday we got a significant amount of rain, around 2 inches in our yard, and some places closer to Greenville got 11 inches. The streams and rivers swelled and there was a flash flood warning. It was enough water to raise the lake by 3/4 of a foot, but as of this morning we are over 1.5 feet below full pond. We went down to the dock yesterday before dinner and here is some footage of the area, clearly we will not be canoeing yet. The chirping birds are red-winged blackbirds, they are quite loud. Hard to believe that this is normally all water. The grasses sure grow back quickly.

At the end of the movie you can see the wild blueberry bushes that I discovered last year right by the dock walkway. Andrew wouldn't eat any but I did and I lived, and so this year I am staying on top of the picking before the birds and bugs get everything. The bushes are at least 12 feet tall - it is a good thing the walkway is right there otherwise I wouldn't be able to reach. The berries are just the right size for muffins.

Last night we made a new dish, Pasta with Black-eyed Peas and Artichokes. Andrew was the chef and I was the sous-chef, so that meant he was in charge. We have been watching that "Hell's Kitchen" show so I figured Andrew would like to try being the one telling the other what to do. The dish turned out excellent - I think the smoked mozarella from Italy really made the dish, neither of us had ever had that cheese before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home