Happiness is...a little green garden

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Everyday Things

Andrew left for a conference in Boston this morning and he has arrived safe and sound. Naturally he has requested lots of cat photos and movies, and he wants me to blog often so he can be kept abreast of the everyday things. So don't say I didn't warn you. After work today I mowed the grass and then cooled down with a beer. I ran into Angie and Callie while taking a garden tour. Angie is our next door neighbour and she is also my hairdresser. I have decided to grow my hair out for awhile and so I don't expect to get it cut until next year, but I might need her to trim up the ends at some point. Callie the black lab is now 3 years old and her and the cats have met but don't always get along. Mostly the cats hide until Callie goes away. I took a photo of Harley lying on the brick path, trying to act tough, and later got a movie of her drinking from the outdoor water dish (an "Everyday Things" movie). She is a strange cat in that she must lap up the water from the edge of the dish, and therefore she spills more water than she drinks. Inside the house we must put very large plates under the water dishes otherwise the floor would be soaked. For dinner tonight I finished off the rest of my homemade hummus on some toasted whole wheat bread. Now I have garlic breath but I don't think the cats will mind. I have finally learned to make (after several attempts to adjust the proportions) what I think is excellent hummus. Mine has lots of garlic and lemon, and fresh parsley from my herb garden. In the food processor, dump 2 cans of drained and rinsed chick peas, a heaping tablespoon of tahini, juice from 1 or 2 lemons (I use 2), 3 to 6 cloves of garlic (I use 6 small), sea salt and a little pepper. Pulse that until finely chopped, then start drizzling olive oil down the feed tube until you get a nice paste consistency. Then spoon this out into a bowl and mix in chopped italian parsley. This keeps for a good week in my fridge in a tupperware container.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home