Happiness is...a little green garden

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Five Day Weekend

We are in the middle of our 5 day holiday weekend for the 4th of July. So far it has been very nice to just relax around, knowing that we still have 2 days left! We went shopping today up to Greenville since Andrew wanted to check out new drum sets at a music store. On Friday night Andrew's band had another gig, this time they played outdoors in the parking lot of Sole. I didn't stay to watch since I wasn't feeling that great. I picked Andrew up afterwards and we went to a local bar called Nicks with a couple of his band mates. Apparently the audience said this time they sounded the best. I guess they are getting better now - at Nicks they were joking about touring Mississippi next summer.

I bought some new blue bowls at Pottery Barn, I love the color. I don't need any more bowls but who cares. I think kitchen stuff is my version of shoes. I don't buy a lot of shoes but I sure like to buy stuff for the kitchen. We also stopped by Barnes and Noble (of course) and bought more books. Andrew right now is reading "The Davinci Hoax", a book that disputes a lot of the supposed facts in the Davinci Code book, but he says both books are crap. He also got a couple of classics for reading on the boat: "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "Mister Midshipman Hornblower". I got 3 books on buddhism - 2 by the Dalai Lama (autobiographies) and one about the basics of the religion. I am not becoming a buddhist but I like to learn about new things and have always been curious about the Dalai Lama's life and Tibet in general.

On Friday I received the quilt fabric kit I ordered and have now started making my first quilt. Two problems so far: the rotary cutting mat I bought shrunk in the heat of the car while we stopped at the grocery store on the way home and I didn't discover this fact until I had cut several pieces of incorrect dimensions, and the kit I ordered shorted me 1 piece of fabric, so I had to get creative and change the pattern a bit. Just what a beginner needs to start out. I hope everything still works out but I am learning more than I bargained for and, after all, that is the purpose of doing this kit first before I make the 2 quilts from that original fabric I ordered earlier.

Tomorrow we will be spending the entire day reading on the boat and swimming - it will be a nice lazy day and I am looking forward to it. We might even do the same thing on Tuesday just because we can. I did a lot of pruning and other yard work on Friday, so I deserve a few days off. Some more of the oriental lilies are blooming now, and their perfume is wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home