Happiness is...a little green garden

Monday, May 08, 2006

Attack of the Mocking Birds

After work today we went grocery shopping since we were too lazy to do it yesterday. I made a corn chowder soup for dinner, and served it with bread and a cup of chili. I also picked up two new magazines for me: Vegetarian Times and Yoga Life. Both have some tasty looking recipes that I want to try. This weekend I finished Goldie Hawn's memoir book, A Lotus Grows in the Mud. I got it from the library just by chance. Andrew and I had gone for a coffee in the library and he wanted to read a paper, so I was browsing the popular reading section and came across her book. I didn't know she was originally a dancer. I signed up for the gym today, but my card won't activate until July 1 since I wanted to be in sync with Andrew's membership which he just renewed today. So I have just under two months to psych myself up for getting up every weekday morning at 6:00am with Andrew and heading to the gym for an hour or so. Andrew is doing excellent and has been going steadily for quite awhile now. He does weights and has recently added some cardio. We took his blood pressure this afternoon at the grocery store, and it is down to 123/83 which for him is an excellent reading. Lifestyle changes have definitely made an impact on lowering his blood pressure.

In other news, Sidney is getting attacked each day by two mocking birds. It is really quite something, even the neighbors have commented on the noise the birds make and have asked me what is going on. The birds follow Sidney all over our yard and harass her constantly. I feel sorry for Sidney and I wish she would make a move on the birds, such as hissing or attacking back with a leap and swipe of her claws. But she doesn't, she just flinches and tries to stay low. So far the birds haven't actually hit her that I have seen, but they swoop down very close and their screeching is very loud and annoying. As a result, both cats come inside the house right after we get home from work and want to stay inside for the rest of the evening, even though the sun isn't setting these days until 8:15pm. I guess the birds have a nest nearby. I am hoping that within a month or so this will be over and we can all return to piece and quiet. Those mocking birds are also attacking any nearby robins too. I had no idea they were so aggressive. They are also excellent bug eaters, so I want them around for that, I just wish they would leave Sidney alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home