Happiness is...a little green garden

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spinnaker

On Saturday, Andrew fixed the leak in the roof while I watched from below shouting encouragement, picking up debris he tossed from the roof and hoping he wouldn't fall off. He was a little grumpy (see the video) but in the end the job was done. That evening we watched the DVD Aeon Flux. Much better than what we were expecting. We were big fans of the Aeon Flux MTV short animations back when we lived in Texas.

Today we drove up to Greenville to check out the new Whole Foods store. Since it is a grocery store, it is able to open at 9:00am (rather than 1:30pm like all other stores). The selection is great for grocery items. I was slightly disappointed by the fruit and vegetable selection. I needed to purchase a pasillo and an ancho pepper but they didn't carry either. Neither of course does the BiLo, but I was hoping Whole Foods would have it. So I substituted a jalapeno and fresno instead - I will be making a vegetarian chili with corn bread crust later this week. They have an excellent selection of legumes in dry form, and many types of nuts, seeds and dried fruits. I think we will try to come up once a month or so. Of course it is all much more expensive, and (hopefully) due to the novelty it was very crowded, even on a Sunday. The aisles are also very narrow, which means a lot of "I'm sorry" and "Excuse me" as you are reaching for an item or just trying to get your cart by.

When we came home we snacked on baba ghannouj, garlic hummus and pita bread, and prepared to go sailing. We tried out the spinnaker while still under motor and without any other sails up. We figured this was a good way to test and learn since neither of us had flown a spinnaker before. It inflated and Andrew was happy about that. I was manning the tiller while Andrew was busy with the sheets. We tried a gybe to get the sail on the other side of the boat but the lines got caught up, possibly because they were misrouted? We aren't sure, but next time we would like to try it again with main sail hoisted and the engine off. There was an easterly 10 MPH wind, mostly cloudy, and about 60 degrees temp today. We are under a mini cold front right now. Here is the video.

Dinner tonight is a vegetable stir fry over rice with fresh organic strawberries for desert. Andrew is having some flank steak strips with his stir fry. I also made a new muffin recipe, orange-cranberry with almond slivers. They smell great and I'm looking forward to eating them for breakfast. Tonight we will be watching the DVD King Kong. Andrew picked it. I hope it is good - I guess the special effects will be pretty good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home