Happiness is...a little green garden

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sailing Club


Andrew left yesterday morning for another business trip, this time in San Jose. He'll be back late on Friday night. So I am on my own for the week again and I'm happy to have the cats for company. Last week we found out that we have been accepted into the Keowee Sailing Club, which means we will be moving our sailboat from Lake Hartwell to Lake Keowee. We really like being at Big Water Marina on Lake Hartwell - the sailing is great there and the service from the marina is excellent. The only thing wrong is that it takes about an hour to drive down there one way. The advantage of Keowee Sailing Club is that it will be only about 10 minutes away. Another thing is that we will now have boats in both lakes (powerboat in Hartwell and sailboat in Keowee) and so we can choose which lake we want to visit (aren't we spoiled!!) But the disadvantage is that the sailing club is a self-help club, which means we will have to be able to handle emergencies and any other situations by ourselves. Hopefully we can make good friends with the other club members and learn a lot about sailing and about sail boats in general. Andrew gave me the task of figuring out how to get the mast down and get the boat over to the new lake. Yesterday I drove down to the boat and took some photos so I could study the mast connections and the lines and try to figure out what we would be doing. While walking back to the truck I stopped to talk to this guy, who turned out to be the owner of Big Water Marina. He was super nice and it turns out we can hire them to do everything for us, including driving the boat to the new slip and launching it. It is totally our choice as to what we want them to do for us. Well this totally relieved all my stress about the whole situation. Last night I talked to Andrew on the phone and we decided that we will get them to do everything. Yeah! I don't mind paying a bit of money to minimize my stress level. So we will try to get this all setup for the weekend of May 12. Driving back home from the marina I stopped at Lowes to check out their lawn chair selection. I've been wanting to get some of those lounge chair chaise-type chairs so I can lay out on the deck and suntan. I found exactly what I was looking for at an excellent price, and so I was able to get some cushions as well. So now we have a comfy spot to lie outside and take a nap (which I tried out yesterday afternoon and it was lovely, 75 degrees and just a slight breeze, perfect). Today I will be going grocery shopping and then doing lots of yard work, spreading mulch and cutting back dead branches and leaves resulting from that late hard freeze. I discovered yesterday that my baptisia is blooming this year. I bought the plants as tiny seedlings from a mailorder company and have been patiently waiting for 3 years for any blooms. The blue color is beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home