Happiness is...a little green garden

Thursday, April 12, 2007

I'm Mad at Mother Nature

This last freeze has zapped all my plants. I took photos before the freeze to have something to look at. Pretty much all the new growth on everything has now turned brown. All the spring flowers and blooms are now brown mush. I am curious what the summer is going to be like for the crepe myrtles. All their new leaves are dead and so does that mean no flowers this summer? I sure will be doing a lot of dead heading in the coming weeks to get rid of all the dead material. I was able to save my 4 tropical deck containers by putting them in the greenhouse. Luckily I was lazy and hadn't planted out my little baby herb plants yet, and so I was able to save all of those as well in the greenhouse. This weekend Andrew is off to Europe for a week for business. First Sweden and then Germany. That means it will just be me and the cats here at home. Hopefully I can get a lot of yardwork done because when he gets back he wants to go sailing. We need to practice the things we learned on our trip before we forget everything! We have also booked our trip in June to Warsaw, Poland, where Andrew was born. Andrew's mom is renewing her MD diploma after 50 years of use and so we decided it's a good excuse to get everyone over there at the same time. This will be Andrew's first trip back to Poland since leaving it when he was 7 years old. We made a most excellent vegetable lasagna awhile back. I had no idea that vegetable lasagna could taste so good. Andrew was really impressed as well. It has zucchini and portobello mushrooms and tofu. Doesn't sound that appetizing but it was great. I just finished reading a Gordon Ramsay autobiograhpy - he is a British chef (Hell's Kitchen, etc.) and hates vegetarians. I respect how he has pulled himself up from being a welfare kid to owning several top restaurants with Michelin stars. Just goes to show how hard work can get a person somewhere if they are truly motivated. Oh, one more trip for me on the agenda this year. In October Andrew has a conference in Rio de Janeiro so Mindy and me are going to join him. We'll be staying at the conference hotel right on Copacabana Beach. It will be nice to have Mindy there since I won't be alone most of the time like I usually am when I accompany Andrew on a conference. This trip is good motivation to keep up my morning workouts and keep eating healthy. I haven't yet missed a day of working out, but I think I still need to work on my eating habits since I've only lost about 6 pounds since January 1. Way off from my original 1 pound per week goal. I just love food too much I guess!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Corey maybe check out wieght watchers. I am going to go cause my niece went and in 2 months has now lost 9 pds. She said its good for they focus alot on portion size and just keeping track of what you put in your mouth can be quite surprising what we consider low in calories and actually isnt. At first it was hard cause for her it was portion size but she says she eats more but more frequently and smaller portions and has learnt what is actually low in calories. They do say that it is 80% of what your eating and only 20% of working out to lose wieght. She finds it easy now and has a wide range of foods which sounds like you have changed alot but maybe its more of your intake. She still has her sweets or salts but she saves them for the end of the week and in portion again. She struggled with that more than anything however she says after a few weeks she says she has been getting use to it. There are meetings that you attend 1 a week which for her is good she says cause it holds her more accountable. You can also go online and hook up with people to keep on track too. Im sure there are alot of people there to share ideas espeacally around quitting smoking and trying not to replace it with eating.

Thu Apr 12, 11:31:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Corey said...

Hi Lori! I don't do that great with 'group' stuff. I guess I don't like that you have to make a commitment to go a meeting and also that you have to pay for it! Ha ha. I think you have the right answer though about portion size. I don't eat that much junk but I think I am eating way too much of the good stuff. So that is what I have to work on. Even though I've only lost 6 pounds I have dropped a whole clothing size, so the workouts are definitely reshaping my body. And it needs it! Good luck with your weight loss and let me know how it goes for you.....

Thu Apr 12, 04:02:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home