Happiness is...a little green garden

Monday, June 19, 2006

Naptime

After a tough day at the office (yeah, right), Andrew managed to watch a few minutes of World Cup and then decided it was time for a nap. It's a rough life. The cats have been waking us up at all times during the night lately. Harley insists on serenading us at 2:00am with her cat songs (I swear she must have some Siamese in her because the sounds that come out are really weird sounding). Sidney is now waking us up at 5:30am sharp. Fortunately I seem to be adapting but Andrew is feeling sleepy. Mind you it could be the extra half hour of sleep I steal in the morning after he's gone for his workout and the cup of caffeinated coffee I buy at work, but don't tell him that.

Tonight for dinner I am making a corn chowder which I have made a few times before. Rather than show a picture of the finished product, instead I have posted a shot of the ingredients. I sure enjoy eating on the vegetarian plan, and would most definitely choose this way of eating over Atkins. When I did Atkins, I lost about 20 pounds, so it does work, but I couldn't see eating like that for the rest of my life. Finally I have my herb garden complete with rosemary, basil, thyme and oregano, which are my most frequently used herbs, so it is great to just hop outside and cut what I need. I have to watch out for bugs because I am trying to go 100% organic in the garden and that means no pesticides. But I also have quite a few baby praying mantises and baby frogs working for me now, so hopefully, eventually, my backyard ecosystem will get in balance. Already I can see a huge difference in the lawn soil. I now have several worms in every square foot, whereas when I moved here there were zero. The vegetarian lifestyle also gives me lots of material for the compost pile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home